Insider's Guide to Yosemite
Globe Pequot Press
6 x 9, 250 pages, maps, b&w photos
Updated 3rd edition
by Karen Misuraca and Maxine Cass
The new, expanded, updated 3rd edition of Insiders Guide Yosemite is now available in bookstores and from Amazon.com. Lots new in the four chapters that feature the gateway highways to the park.
Old Yosemite is as spectacular as ever, and there are recent changes and improvements in the tourism infrastructure, from a major renovation at the base of Yosemite Falls to hotel renovations,
restaurant upgrades; special classes and tours, and more. Visitorship in the park is actually down from past years, and most months during
the week, you will find plenty of solitude. When I return to Yosemite, I always stop at the famous Tunnel View overlooking
the valley, and my eyes fill with tears. A secret hideaway: walk from the Ahwahnee lobby between the cottages to the
river; lie under the trees with a book or a picnic--you'll be the only ones there.
- Replacing the scrummy cafeteria of old, a fabulous new Food Court at Yosemite Lodge; faster, fresher, healthier and more attractive.
- Hotel renovations -- if you haven't stayed at the Ahwahnee, the Wawona, Curry Village or Yosemite Lodge, you will find them completely renovated and updated.
- Tubing hill at Badger Pass.
- Spectacular new visitor area at the foot of Yosemite Falls, more natural, more beautiful.
- Legendary Camp 4, the birthplace of big wall climbing in the United States, is doubled in size.
- New "Explore Yosemite Family Program" is a three-hour introduction for all ages to the natural and cultural world of Yosemite.
- More performances of the Bracebridge Dinners; no longer on lottery system.
- and more!
Table of Contents:
Getting Here, Getting Around
Tuolumne and Hetch Hetchy
Yosemite in Winter
Lodgings and Rentals
Events, Activities and Tours
Hiking and Backpacking
Shopping in the Park
Arch Rock Entrance/California Highway 140
Big Oak Flat Entrance/California Highway 120 West
South Gate Entrance/California Highway 41
East Gate Entrance/California Highway 120
Relocation to the Yosemite Region